Zubrag.com
August 23, 2019, 10:06:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Password protect: user signup  (Read 18873 times)
zubrag
Administrator

« on: September 18, 2007, 10:57:08 AM »

waldir added comment for Password Protector,
I would like to have a form for registration on my site, where user would inform login and password, and they would have automatic access to the protected directory. How could I do it? Thanks.

I believe others are also waiting for this feature. Looks like it is time to enhance password protector. Will implement user sign up after cPanel Toolbox is finished (in a week or two).

Will have to store login/password pairs in separate file. So i think there will be at least four files:

password_protect.php - login form
signup.php - sign up form, will have two fields: username/password.
manager.php - admin for users. It will ask for admin password, after that will show a list of users. I'll use Flatfile database manager for managing users list.
users_list.php - database (list) of usernames/passwords.

I hope new Password Protection script will still be simple to use for non-advanced users. Maybe this script will be posted as a different script, for example Advanced Password Protect. Old script may still be useful when simple protection need (For example in closed community, where there is only one password and everybody knows and uses it. No need to setup complicated password management script in this case).

badgirl

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 11:52:24 PM »

It would be awesome to have a password protect script where users could sign up and receive the password automatically.  I don't know how easy even Zubrag could make it though... It seems it may be impossible without the use of databases or something.  Of course that would leave stupid... err code challenged people like me out of the loop.  It sure would be nice if it could be made easy to understand like the password protect script.  I just joined the forum here and I plan on visiting often.  This is the first place where I found scripts I can use and understand.  There are lots of others out here like me... we are not big code brains... we want to learn... but even trying to learn by using some of the code snippets offered is almost impossible.  They are so complicated no one on my level can make heads or tails of them.  So imagine my JOI <intentionally spelled wrong for a reason> when I came across this site that offered scripts I could not only copy and paste, but I could use to tinker with and discover and to learn!  Thank you so very much Zubrag.  I look forward to any new scripts/tutorials you offer in the future.
zubrag
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 10:17:18 AM »

Thanks for your input. You would like users to receive the password automatically. This will require email address (to send login/password to it). So i'll add one more field to sign up form - "Email:". And, since we'll have email address, we can implement forgot password feature. So we'll include one more file to the package - reminder.php.

I'll try to code all these things as separate boxes, so you could add login / forgot / signup boxes where needed.
badgirl

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 08:46:06 AM »

Wow!  I can't wait to see this. It will be magic... pure magic!
<---- Doing a little happy dance around my desk!
Surao

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 07:41:35 AM »

Hi Z,

Any headsup as to when the new advanced password protect will be released? am really looking forward to it, the old one worked like a charm. Please do let me know.

Thank you.
zubrag
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 09:22:03 AM »

Hi. I'll try to complete user signup this weekend.
zubrag
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 05:28:37 AM »

Hi. Password Protect Advanced (http://www.zubrag.com/downloads/password_protect_advanced.zip) is available for download.

Setup:

1) Unpack zip to some folder.
2) Update settings.php (admin password, email settings, etc)
3) Use following programs where you need them:
- login.php - login form
- signup.php - sign up form
- manager.php - admin for users. It will ask for admin password, after that will show a list of users. We utilized Flatfile database manager for managing users list.
- reminder.php - forgot password form

Other files are for internal use. Suggestions are welcome.
Surao

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 07:27:40 AM »

Thanks a million Z, will try and test and get back. thanks again.
barry

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 03:15:00 AM »

Hi Zubrag,

I am currently using Password protect with sql database to store & retrieve user name and password.
http://www.zubrag.com/forum/index.php/topic,366.0.html With your help works great!!! Thank U

I would like to move up, to offer sign up feature;

However I want to be able to gather more fields like address, phone number etc; and directly store them to sql database instead of txt file, so that user information can be used for other purposes, like email newsletter etc.

I went through the advanced files; & it looks advanced for me to play around to get the above functionality. If you are going to further develop the script please consider this suggestion.

Thank you very much for providing these great scripts!
zubrag
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 06:35:51 AM »

Hi barry

I'll think how to add custom fields for your needs.
barry

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 08:27:58 PM »

Thanks  Cool
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: